Notice: I've taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to add content here as often as possible. Pertinent guest posts are always welcome.

-

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Earning that North Country Name

alt text
snow patterns on evergreens
from Paul Retherford, used with permission

Here are some images that I captured on the North Country Trail West of Rudyard, Michigan in the UP of Michigan. My wife and I decided to take a quick, 2 hour from our house, trip to Grand Marais, MI and back to see a part of Michigan where we have never visited. The ride up was blue skies and LOTS of snow until around Grand Marais where we got lake effect snow and even more snow! I only captured a few images since we were strapped for time and light while there. It was us and the snowmobilers. I think we were one of a dozen cars there. It was really quiet and we spoke with the waitress at the Lake Superior Brewing Company and she said that it was a REALLY slow winter. She said last Sunday she had one table on her shift! Upper Michigan is the spot and the trails are open, groomed, and pretty much empty. Great time to make a trip to Northern Michigan!
alt text
Paul Retherford, Sampson, and asta


alt text
upper Michigan forest scene


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting some of my images and blog! I'll be posting images everyday at http://paulretherford.net

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Paul- everyone loves pictures! A few lines of text with them, as you did this time makes for a great feature. Thanks so much.