Notice: I've taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to add content here as often as possible. Pertinent guest posts are always welcome.

-

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kim Fishburn to Give Yosemite Programs

Yosemite
Merced River Valley in Yosemite (photo by Kim Fishburn)
contributed by Kim Fishburn

Kim is a hiker and supporter of the Superior Hiking Trail, which is concurrent with the North Country Trail in Minnesota. He has also done extensive hiking in the west and will be giving 3 programs in Minneapolis this next week.

I've hiked in Yosemite for over 25 years and covered about 2/3 of the trails in the park. I'll be showing pictures of the various areas of the park to help you plan a trip. You'll also need to know about changes in bear regulations in the Sierras so I'll show you which website to go to. If you've been thinking of hiking the John Muir or Tahoe Yosemite Trail I'll also show you the public transportation options available to get to and around the Sierras. I'll also cover the weather, when to go, and things to think about when flying with a backpack.

I always like it when I get a lot of people at these slide shows. I'm thinking of putting another one together on the other areas of California that I've hiked.

At the end I'm going to show a couple of slides from a trail building weekend I did last year on the SHT and try to drum up some bodies for this year. I'm also planning on mentioning the Border Route Trail and the North Country Trail.

I need to get back up on the SHT before the snow melts and see about finishing the final 50 miles I need to finish the main part of that trail. I'll probably do another slide show on SHT then. I was going to through hike it starting last Memorial Day but by the time I got to Grand Marais I was cold wet & miserable and my left foot was killing me. 3 days later they got 3 to 5 inches of rain. I'm so glad I missed that. Anyway, I thought it would be good to do a slide show showing the different seasons on the trail.


March 2, 7 pm, REI Roseville, 1955 County Rd B2 W, Roseville, MN 55113, (651) 635-0211

March 4, 7 pm, REI Maple Grove, 11581 Fountains Drive, Maple Grove, MN 55369, (763) 493-7861

March 7, 2 pm, REI Bloomington, 750 W American Blvd, Bloomington, MN 55420, (952) 884-4315

See Out Hiking, Kim's web page

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you live in a beautiful part of the world. I will add to the list of places I would like to visit in the future!