Notice: I've taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to add content here as often as possible. Pertinent guest posts are always welcome.

-

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mike Ducek Hikes Brule Bog, Wisconsin

pine grosbeak
pink grosbeak (photo by Mike Duchek)

OutdoorBlips: vote it up!
if you like this article, click the Blip chiclet!
submitted by Mike Duchek

I was exploring the North Country Trail's site, and found the Brule Bog Boardwalk segment which looked very cool. Turns out it is the same segment that was featured in a segment on Wisconsin's National Parks produced by Wisconsin's two public TV stations to coincide with the Ken Burns film.

Just two weeks ago I went, and it was a very nice hike - there was well over 2 feet of snow in the area and more has fallen since I was there. Since I'm also into birds, I was delighted as I began my hike to find one of the birds I had wanted to see while up there - a pine grosbeak. In fact I subsequently saw six more, all of which were very tame and cooperative and allowed me some great photos.

Brule Bog
North Country Trail - Brule Bog Boardwalk in Douglas Co., WI (photo by Mike Duchek)


Ravens serenaded me as I exited the bog, and I heard little else. In fact I seemed to have been the only one to hike this segment in a while: as I reached the Catlin Creek campsite, where I turned around, I found a registration box, which showed December 29, 2009 as the last entry. I came back through and hiked a little more as the trail continued across the road before emerging exhausted at the parking spot.

This segment is on NCTA map WI-02

See Chief Noonday Chapter of the NCTA

No comments: